Saturday, August 14, 2010

Letting Go, But gaining so much!

So for most of you that know me you know I stay insanely busy. I mean so busy that from January to May of the past 5 years my husband and I don't even eat dinner at home. I have been the head coach of the girls soccer program technically for the past 3 years. It has been wonderful and rewarding with as much success as we have had with the program as well as a lot of fun. But every year it takes a huge toll on our family as far as time is concerned. So this summer Jonathan and I started talking about what was going to be best for our family concerning soccer and our sweet new addition. In the past year I have been coaching both high school soccer as well as academy soccer. High school goes day and night from January through May. Academy is only 2 nights a week plus a game on the weekend. Put those two together and a pregnancy on top of it, it will make anyone consider their priorites. So we sat down and weighed out the pros and cons of all this soccer business and we decided that it would be best that I let go of high school soccer for now. I have never felt so relieved to just focus on our family. Yes, it will require me to become more diciplined in my spending as well as with my time (since I love filling it). One of the biggest things that really helped us make the decision is that while I would be coaching soccer Emersyn would be sitting up, crawling, and possibly walking if she walks when her daddy did at 9 months. Most of the high school season is in freezing weather, so it would not be ideal to have her out at the games for the majority of the season. I feel like the moral of the story is when you follow God's call to devote yourself to your family the way he designed a mother and wife to, making decisions like this one was pretty simple. I will miss it I am sure, but not being the head coach does not mean that I can't support the team and get to view the game from the bleachers and enjoy it for once from a much less stressful perspective. Every one has been incredibly supportive from our athletic director to other administrators. All were so encouraging about our decision which helped make things a lot easier. I have really enjoyed being the head coach and I know that regardless of who gets the privlidge of that position that if God wants me to return to it one day he will work it all out! But there is a small part of me that also wants to sit back and enjoy Emersyn getting to play sports/dance or whatever God has in store for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment