Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Special Day

Chapel Hill soccer player signs with Young Harris College!

Today I had the honor of attending the signing of one of my players. So what is so special about that you ask? Well not only is it a great accomplishment to go on to play college soccer, but she signed with Young Harris College. What is so special about YHC you ask? Well it is where I attended my first two years of college and played my first two years of soccer. My experience there as a player was by far the best experience I had. The coach there is absolutely amazing and taught me so much not only about soccer, but about life. She is also who inspires me as a coach. She invests in her players and has built an amazing program. When I played at YHC we ended up 8th in the nation my first year (being the first of her teams to go to the national tournament) and 3rd in the nation my second only having lost to the team (Utah) that won the 1st place in the NJCAA Tournament. She went on to have even more successful teams that won the championship in 2006. I would almost warn others not to ask me about YHC because I could talk forever about what a great place it was and is.

So today was special because for the first time in my coaching career one of my very talented players is going to get to experience what I did. I am so very proud of her and her accomplishments to today's signing will forever be special to me. For things to have come full circle is really neat. I have relentlessly told my player what an amazing experience she will have there and proudly (along with her parents, club coach, and the coach at YHC) stood beside her for her signing today.

Kathy, the YHC coach who had such a positive impact on me was able to make the signing which meant a lot to both my player and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment