Monday, December 13, 2010

The Church Nursery

Yesterday was Emersyn's first and possibly last experience in the church nursery for a while. For the past 16 weeks she has been a "desk" baby. I was asked to take a shift in the Ladybug room which would be Emersyn's room. So I dropped her off in the nursery during first hour and then came and did my shift during the second hour. I was very surprised at my reaction. There were 6 babies, one being Emersyn. A 4 wk old little boy was coughing up a storm and sounded so congested. You could not help but feel sorry for him. Then there was another little boy who was chewing and drooling ALL over all the toys and the walker toy he was sitting in. Walking in the room I just felt like germs were jumping all over me. One of the front desk people came by to check on us and I talked her into taking Emersyn back up front. Part of me was worried about picking up the other babies and passing something on to Emersyn. I know that God wants us to love on all His children and I never really viewed the baby room as a live culture petri dish until I had Emersyn. So I think she will start attending Sunday school with me and the service as well. I was spoiled for the first 16 weeks, but now I don't want people thinking Emersyn is privlidged just because her daddy is on staff. I also worry that at 3 1/2 months old she is still a little to you to be "exposed." I know this is probably first time mom over reaction, but I am interested in other mom's opinions. I just have this stigma that if she gets something and I don't know where it came from if she gets sick that is better than if I know she got it from the nursery and I put her there. Anyway, I think I may call the doctor and get their opinion as well. I just hope our sweet little girl is not a sickly baby. I don't get sick often and never really did as a child either. Jonathan on the other hand tends to get sick more often than I do. I would not call him sickly, but for me getting sick more than once a year is too much. I have not been sick since last November when I got pregnant with Emersyn.

4 comments:

  1. Our little one is 17 months old and I haven't ever taken her into the nursery. She attends the service with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen and amen. you know i am not a big fan of nursery. pretty sure Jesus never went. mick made me put sayj in and i also teach her class. i cringe each week because i know when we get sick most of the time that is where we have picked it up. boo hiss. i say give her the special treatment if you can. micah never went to nursery. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm...for some reason i am under my work email. if you didn't know, this is stephanie harper. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't feel bad Anne Marie... a friend of ours who has a medically fragile child went to the church nursery one Sunday, and the following Tuesday he had to be hospitalized. Just picked up a regular bug in the nursery that would make most kids sick, but for him, it was devastating. I'm just saying...don't feel bad for protecting your child. Even our pediatrician, who works the nursery at his church, is surprised at the condition parents bring their children to the nursery in.


    Love, cousin Julie

    ReplyDelete