Monday, November 23, 2009

Sugar and Spice.....


And it was REALLY nice...

To all my soccer friends (and all my other friends) who read my blog I am so proud to announce my little U-9 Academy Soccer Team won the 23rd Annual Sugar and Spice Tournament. Finally after playing in this tournament myself since I was 11 years old (take some years off for college, marriage, and a real job) I got to be a part of winning a soccer tournament.

To see the smiles and excitement on 10 little girls faces and send them all home with a trophy was priceless! I hope that they remember some important things from this weekend and a major one being selflessness.

I don't want to harp to much about parents, because I know my parents were there at one point when I played soccer....but parents think they know it all. I even got a phone call from one recently concerned that our team was not playing to their potential after two lost games and how I was planning on fixing that for the tournament. The parent was very kind and the conversation turned out so much better than I had envisioned.

But that being said this is what I tried my hardest to teach the girls this week: That we should always focus on the positives, fix the negatives, work as a team, and ALWAYS give our best. I told them before one of our last games that the team that gives their bests will win this tournament and boy did they play their little hearts out. I am thankful for the impact I have on these girls, and although I might not always "do" what the parents "think" I should, I hope more than anything these girls learn about selflessness, because that is a life lesson that will take them miles down the road. I believe selflessness is the core behind the team concept.

I am so proud of how hard my team worked and hope that if not now, but some day they will reflect on the importance of working together and how that can bring the champion out in all of us.

1 comment:

  1. yeah!! so proud for you annemarie! way to go. i know you worked so hard. i actually was thinking that i think we played against each other in a few sugar and spice tourn. and i remember thinking you were really tough on the field (i was only out there for the social aspect:) and now knowing you makes me laugh because you are the sweetest person OFF the field..

    ReplyDelete